- “Still after my flags, eh dragon?”
Bombo who calls himself the "Flagkeeper", also known as Bob the Flagkeeper in the Spyro Reignited Trilogy, is a genie who appeared in Scorch, a realm in Autumn Plains that only appeared in Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! and the remaster. He wears a white turban and rides on a magic carpet. Bombo/Bob is also capable of creating and throwing magic bombs.
Handel gives Spyro the task of retrieving flags from the genie, giving Spyro an orb as a reward. He does not appear in the level until Spyro has defeated 20 enemies and has talked to Handel. After Spyro does so, he will have to use superflame to shoot Bombo/Bob off of each flagpole. Bombo then challenges Spyro to avoid his bombs while trying to get the flag from him. He does this for a total of three rounds, and after Handel gives Spyro the orb, he will not be seen again.
- The character is most likely named after a bomb, which is a weapon he uses.
- When Bombo/Bob speaks in the original game, his mouth does not move.
- Even though Bombo's name appears in the trophy/achievement list and early artworks for the Spyro Reignited Trilogy, his name has been changed to "Bob the Flagkeeper" presumably to avoid alleged racial stereotyping towards Middle Eastern inhabitants (since the game was released two years prior to September 11, 2001, despite the name having no connections to the tragic event).
- It’s possible that Toys for Bob picked the name "Bob" to reference their developer studio name as well as not to further distance from the already established name "Bombo" as both names start with B.
- However the trophy name was later changed to "Duck and Cover" and the description now refers to him as "Bob".