- “Yes, yes, pat on the back, good going, all that other rubbish, but we've got to get moving here.”
The Ice Guardian Cyril was the result of a collaboration between Jared Pullen and his team member Ron Marc. Ron developed the overall design content and the concept that Cyril was more lupine and guant than his fellow Guardians, being more of a 'grizzled survivalist' from the frozen extremes of the Dragon Realms.
During development, Cyril was originally intended to be female, and a Guardian of the scrapped Water element. However it was deemed that the development team needed to give him a harder edge visually, so Cyril was made male.
Cyril is a coldly confident and predominately prideful dragon, who constantly brags about supposedly royal ancestry. He does not hold his tongue when speaking and can often be sardonic, Volteer usually being the target of these remarks due to the electric Dragon Guardian's incessant babbling. Despite his short comings, however, he knows when he should swallow his arrogance and do the right thing, admitting that Spyro is the way forward and that he and his fellow Dragon Guardians must step aside.
As a Master of Ice, Cyril's proficiency is unmatched by no one but Spyro in raw power, but it takes Cyril's tutoring to truly allow Spyro to be able to control his element efficiently and with any grace.
The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning
Cyril was the protector of Dante's Freezer during the wars against the Dark Armies. He, along with the other Guardians and war dragons, fought against the forces of The Dark Master until they were driven back when only four Guardians, including himself, remained.Cyril was one of the Guardians tasked with watching over the dragon eggs, including the egg that contained Spyro. The Dark Armies soon raided the Dragon Temple and overwhelmed Cyril and the other Guardians, allowing the Apes to destroy the other dragon eggs to prevent Spyro's birth under the Dark Master's orders. After the attack, Cyril fought alongside the other dragons against the Apes now led by the evil dragon, Cynder. He was captured by Cynder and her forces, and was taken to Tall Plains where he was drained of his elemental energy in order to power the crystal needed to free the Dark Master.
Years later, Ignitus sent Spyro to rescue Cyril in Tall Plains after he returned with Volteer and the young dragon watched Cynder flee with her powered crystal. Spyro pushed on and found Cyril but he was forced to fight the Stone Sentinel, a revered spiritual entity, but became angered due to a lack of tribute and having its resting place disturbed by Cynder's actions. Once Spyro freed Cyril, the Ice Guardian hurried them back to the temple, and away from the "primitive and barbaric" company of the Atlawas. After a brief reunion with his fellow Guardians, Cyril took Spyro to the training room and taught him how to use his newfound Ice element to a proficient level.
When Spyro returned with Cynder (now free from Malefor's control), Cyril apologized with the rest of the Guardians for not being able to protect the dragon eggs on the night of the raid.
The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night
Cyril was asleep, with the rest of the Guardians when Cynder snuck away from the temple. When the temple was attacked by the Apes once again, he helped defend it, this time pushing the Apes away and successfully holding his current home, despite the damage the Temple attained. He gathered around the Pool of Visions with the other Guardians when Spyro mentioned the Chronicler and, along with the others, was startled to hear of his existence. With the Guardians unsettled by the reappearance of the Chronicler, who was often linked with tales of doom, and with the visions of the Mountain of Malefor that Spyro was having, Cyril was sent with Volteer by Ignitus to the mainlands to learn whatever news they could.
The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the DragonDuring the three years since Spyro and Cynder's disappearance, Cyril waited with the other Guardians at the Dragon City of Warfang after having lost their hold of the Dragon Temple to Malefor. Cyril didn't make an appearance until Spyro and Cynder successfully prevented Malefor's army from storming the city gates and he swooped down over the retreating army, blasting them with his Ice breath. He turned back, however, when the Golem emerged and began to attack the city; Ignitus sending Cyril to put out the fires in the city. The Ice Guardian came to Spyro and Cynder's aid and saved them from being crushed by the Golem's thrashing tail, using his Ice breath to slow the tail's descent long enough for Spyro and Cynder to cross a staircase before the tail knocked Cyril out of the sky and smashed him through a stone slab. It was revealed that he recovered from the blow when he joined up with Spyro and Cynder after the Golem's defeat.
Sometime after, Cyril and the other Guardians witnessed Malefor reveal his plan and resurrect the Destroyer. They ventured through the city's underground to confront the Destroyer and attacked it before it completed the Ring of Annihilation to initiate the end of the world. When the attack failed however, Cyril helped move the inhabitants of Warfang underground in the hopes that they would be safe, not emerging until Spyro and Cynder defeated Malefor and prevented the destruction of the world. The Ice Guardian looked over the horizon along with everyone else and witnessed the creation of a dragon constellation in the sky, signaling the beginning of a new age.
- Cyril's original English voice was done by Jeff Bennett. He is best known for being the voice of Brooklyn in Gargoyles, Johnny Bravo in the series of the same name, Petrie in The Land Before Time sequel films, Dexter's dad in Dexter's Laboratory, Kowalski in The Penguins of Madagascar, and he is the current voice for Disney's Smee. He is also very good at impersonating British voices, which is something he utilized for Cyril.
- Cyril's Dutch voice actor Edward Reekers, is also a famous Dutch singer as leader of a band, Kayak. He released many solo single songs in English, German and Dutch. For the Dutch dubbing industry, he voiced Dexter's dad in Dexter's Laboratory and Johnny Bravo.
- His Japanese name translated in Korean is known as 시릴 (Silil).
- In Russia, he is known as Сирил (Siril).
- Cyril was originally going to have more than one line of dialogue in Dawn of the Dragon in numerous comedic scenes along with Sparx, Volteer, etc. that the developers had planned and in some cases even recorded, but they didn't have the resources or time to animate them.
- After the battle with the Destroyer, both Cyril and Volteer strangely don't appear again in the same cutscene halfway through nor were given orders by Ignitus regarding the incoming world crisis like Terrador did. They did however appear in the game's epilogue and the post-credits scene.
|Spyro - Sparx - Ignitus - Volteer - Terrador - Cyril - Cynder|
|Swamp - Dragon Temple - Dragon Dojo - Dante's Freezer|
- Tall Plains - Munitions Forge - Concurrent Skies - Convexity
|Ape Soldiers - Ape Leaders - Ape Commanders - Frog Weeds - Growths - Bulb Spiders|
- Ape Dummies - Dreadwings - Trolls - Ogres - Troll Horsemen - Assault Turrets
- Armadillos - Rubble Brutes - Ape Cannons - Buffalo Beetles - Magma Worms
- Fire Beetles - Electric Leeches - Crystal Brutes - Conduits
|Fire - Electricity - Ice - Earth - Aether|
|Dragons - Dragonflies - Apes - Spirit Gems|
|Spyro - Sparx - Ignitus - Volteer - Terrador - Cyril - Cynder - Gaul - Chronicler|
|Dragon Temple - Dreamscape - Ancient Grove - Grove Underground|
- Fellmuth Arena - Pirate Fleet - White Isle - Celestial Caves - Mountain of Malefor
|Ape Soldiers - Ape Leaders - Ape Commanders - Toad Weeds - Bulb Spiders - Death Hounds - Dreadwings|
- Grove Worms - Grove Mites - Grove Beasts - Growths - Skavengers - Skurvywings
- Blundertails - Pirate Gunners - Armourdilloes - Stone Trolls - Fire Elementals -
Elemental Crystal Brutes - Crystal Ball Spiders
|Fire - Electricity - Ice - Earth - Aether|
|Dragons - Apes - Spirit Gems - Scriber's Quills - Dragon Relics - Dragon Challenges|
|The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night Promotional Movies|
|Spyro - Sparx - Cynder - Hunter - Malefor - Ignitus - Volteer - Terrador - Cyril - Chronicler|
|Catacombs - Twilight Falls - Valley of Avalar - Warfang - Ruins of Warfang - Attack of the Golem|
The Dam - Burned Lands - Floating Islands - Malefor's Lair
|Grublins - Grublin Flies -Hero Grublins - Orcs - Hero Orcs -|
Trolls - Bowman Orcs - Wyverns - Shadow Apes
|Fire - Electricity - Ice - Earth - Aether - Poison - Fear - Wind - Shadow|
|Dragons - Grublins - Spirit Gems - Armor - Green Chains - Elite Enemies|