Dark Vines are spiky tentacle-like vines that sprout out of the ground usually when Dark Gems are placed. They also appear in other locations even after Dark Gems are destroyed such as the beginning of the level in Crocovile Swamp.
The only way to defeat Dark Vines is to destroy a nearby Dark Gem or to collect all the Dark Gems in the Realm. If flamed the Dark Vine may either go into the ground or be unaffected (usually around a Boss Lair). Some just cannot be permanently defeated such as the ones in Crocovile Swamp. The Vines seem to hate light as they die when they are exposed to sunlight.
Use as a Guard
Dark Vines make a great use as a guard. They guard Gnasty's Cave and Red's Chamber. Still they too will shrivel up when all the Dark Gems in the realm are destroyed. They can also block off other areas containing treasure such as: Gems, Light Gems, and Dragon Eggs, and the way to levels.
- They seem to be two types of Dark Vines those who go into the ground when flamed or shot and those who are barely affected by flame.
- They also appear in Blink minigames where they cannot be permanently defeated.
|Spyro the Dragon - Hunter the Cheetah|
Sparx the Dragonfly - Sgt. James Byrd - Blink the Mole
|Red (Mecha Form)|
Gnasty Gnorc - Ineptune - Mammoth
|Amp - Aqua - Astor - Bentley the Yeti - Ember - Flame - Fredneck - Freezia - Ice Princess - Lily - Magnus|
- Mergatroids - Moneybags - Mrs. Shoutfire - Otto - Peggy - Phil - Professor - Teena - Titan
- Tomas - Trina - Turtle Mother - Wally - Zoe
|Dragon Kingdom - Lost Cities - Icy Wilderness - Volcanic Isle|
Dragon Village - Crocovile Swamp - Dragonfly Falls - Coastal Remains - Cloudy Domain - Sunken Ruins
- Frostbite Village - Gloomy Glacier - Ice Citadel - Stormy Beach - Molten Mount - Magma Falls - Dark Mine
- Red's Lab
|Gnasty's Cave - Watery Tomb - Red's Chamber - Red's Lair|
|Island Speedway - Cloudy Speedway - Iceberg Aerobatics - Lava Palaver|
|Gems - Dark Gems - Light Gems - Dragon Eggs|