|This article is about the boss. You may be looking for the realm by the same name.|
- “Doctor Shemp thinks he's so cool! You don't know what it's been like listening to him over and over! But I'll tell you one thing: he should watch his back.”
- —Trondo to Spyro
Doctor Shemp (ドクター・クール or Dr. Cool in Japanese) is the leader of the Kamikaze tribesmen who is the second boss. He appeared within Spyro the Dragon and Spyro Reignited Trilogy remaster of the first game, found in the realm of the same name. As Trondo stated upon his rescue, Doctor Shemp thought that he was in fact "cool," and wore sunglasses.
In Spyro the dragon, Doctor Shemp is a yellow shaman, with an oval like body shape. Doctor Shemp wears circular sunglasses, and he has feathers on his head. The front of his body is completely covered by metal body armor, while the back is left uncovered. He wears metal sandals, and he holds a wooden staff in his left hand (like the ones held by the Kamikaze Tribesmen), with a green mask hung on it. At the top of his staff is a giant skull.
In the Reignited trilogy, he seems to be a gnorc, and he has two teeth sticking out and pointed ears. His head feathers are sticking straight up rather than being puffed up, and his armor is connected to him with a chain and strap. his staff has a more tribal looking mask with leaves poking out behind it, and the skull on top has blue glowing sockets. He has wristbands with skulls on them, and his staff also has more skulls on it.
When Gnasty Gnorc was looking for recruits to defeat Spyro, shortly after he turned all of the other Dragons into Crystal Statues, he hired Dr. Shemp to stop the young dragon in his tracks. Dr. Shemp waited to confront Spyro at his canyon fortress, where Fat Ladies and their kamikaze minions protected the fortress. Spyro confronted Dr. Shemp, and defeated Dr. Shemp after flaming his backside. In general, Doctor Shemp was arrogant.
Doctor Shemp was the boss of the Peace Keepers Homeworld, and was found in the realm, Doctor Shemp. He was quite tall, had orange skin, wore metal chest armor, and a pair of sunglasses. He used a large staff with a skull on the top weapon. Throughout his confrontation with Spyro, Doctor Shemp was heard vocalizing.
Spyro's battle with Doctor Shemp took place on three platforms, and the boss attacked differently on each platform. At some point at each attack, he exposed his vulnerable backside. Spyro must flame at backside in order to damage him. After each hit, he hopped across the bridge to the next platform. On the third platform, he perished upon being burned.
- Doctor Shemp: Boss of the level
- Doctor Shemp's name is considered an in-joke at Insomniac games. The employees using the phrase "got the shemp" whenever a blunder is made.
- Doctor Shemp's spin attack (performed on the third platform) was identical to the first boss of Crash Bandicoot, Papu Papu.
- The sounds that Doctor Shemp made were later reused for Sleepyhead in Spyro: Year of the Dragon.
- When not attacking, Dr. Shemp may do a finger gun or throat slit gesture, referencing how he thinks he's "cool."
- In Spyro: Year of the Dragon, there was a skateboard move entitled "the Shemp." That could possibly be paying homage to the iconic boss.
- It was possible that the origin of Doctor Shemp's name came from the phrase "Fake Shemp" (named for The Three Stooges actor Shemp Howard, who portrayed "Shemp") used in filming. This is where an actor appears in a film under heavy make-up, filmed from the back, or perhaps showing an arm or a foot. As only Doctor Shemp's back was exposed to attack, it was assumed that his name came from that.
- The fact how Spyro has to hit his exposed backside is similar to Gnorc Sentries.
|Spyro the Dragon - Sparx the Dragonfly|
Fairies - Balloonists
Toasty - Doctor Shemp - Blowhard - Metalhead - Jacques - Egg Thieves
|Artisans - Peace Keepers - Magic Crafters - Beast Makers - Dream Weavers - Gnorc Gnexus|
|Stone Hill - Dark Hollow - Town Square - Dry Canyon - Cliff Town - Ice Cavern - Alpine Ridge|
High Caves - Wizard Peak - Terrace Village - Misty Bog - Tree Tops - Dark Passage - Lofty Castle
- Haunted Towers - Gnorc Cove - Twilight Harbour - Gnasty's Loot
|Sunny Flight - Night Flight - Crystal Flight - Wild Flight - Icy Flight|
|Toasty - Doctor Shemp - Blowhard - Metalhead - Jacques - Gnasty Gnorc|
|Dragons - Treasure - Dragon Eggs|