Dragon Eggs are delivered to the Dragon Realms by Fairies, and only hatch on the Year of the Dragon; something that is accompanied by a large celebration called the Year of the Dragon Festival. It is unknown where they come from.
Spyro the Dragon
The eggs are mostly magenta pinkish with spots on them. All twelve eggs are in the hands of Egg Thieves that have stolen them all. Tuco, the balloonist of the Magic Crafters' realm, will not allow Spyro passage to the Beast Makers' realm until he has retrieved at least five dragon eggs. Conveniently, seven of the twelve egg thieves can be found in the Magic Crafters' realm.
Spyro: Year of the Dragon
The eggs have changed in appearance and are now white and gray with purple and pink speckles. In this game, the eggs are either found lying about, or rewarded after completing a task or mini-game.
Egg Thieves are still around and still hold a few of them captive. There are 150 eggs (151 for the twins) to be rescued, the last of which hatches into twins. You can obtain eggs in various places or doing various tasks for the character you are doing them for (difficulty varies between levels).
Spyro: A Hero's Tail
Spyro was asked by Mrs. Shoutfire to find the missing Dragon Eggs that had been stolen once again by Egg Thieves. This time, they were marked with certain patterns. Once you completed a full set, you were given a special prize which was dependent on which set you collected. There are 80 in total to collect.
Spyro: Shadow Legacy
Kaitlin asks Spyro to help find her missing egg. After he finds it, she tells him to find 30 more. Kaitlin teaches Spyro a spell to turn into an egg afterwards. The eggs in this game are light blue with dark blue speckles. There are a total of 34 eggs. There is a glitch which makes you get unlimited eggs and one to be rolling in water.
The Legend of Spyro series
In The Legend of Spyro series, dragon eggs made a brief appearance in the prologue of The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning. A brood of eggs were kept at the Dragon Temple to protect them from the forces of the Dark Master. Among those eggs was the egg of the next purple dragon, Spyro. It was then that the Dark Armies launched an attack on the Temple to destroy all of the eggs to prevent Spyro from being born. Ignitus rescued Spyro's egg and safely sent it down a stream, hoping for the best.
By the time Ignitus returned to the Temple, the other Guardians were overpowered by the Apes, who proceeded to smash all of the other dragon eggs. Cynder's egg was taken by the Ape King Gaul to be corrupted by the Dark Master, who required a dragon born from the Year of the Dragon to open a gateway to his prison in Convexity.
During the war, the Dragons' very existence depended on the dragon eggs as they had suffered through numerous temple raids, resulting in many eggs being smashed. Combined with the war's aftermath, Cynder was on the hunt, steadily purging the dragon race. As a result, dragons eggs were becoming rare.
- Many of the dragons which hatch from the eggs in Spyro: Year of the Dragon are named after famous jazz musicians, such as Dizzy (Dizzy Gillespie), Coltrane (John Coltrane), and Miles (Miles Davis), along with other historical and pop culture references such as Maynard (Maynard G. Krebs) and Sigfried and Roy (Sigfried and Roy). A dragon Jonah is found inside the whale in Evening Lake, based off of the biblical character Jonah.
- In Spyro Reignited Trilogy's Year of the Dragon, the count of dragon eggs appear to be inconsistent with how many are present in the game itself, as the final cutscene "The End" shows an egg that is only just hatching, meaning Spyro must have saved an unhatching egg off-screen or this particular egg never got stolen.
- In The Legend of Spyro trilogy, dragon eggs can take decades to hatch, even longer if the time isn't right. They will incubate safely until a timely opportunity presents itself.
|Spyro the Dragon - Sparx the Dragonfly|
Fairies - Balloonists
Toasty - Doctor Shemp - Blowhard - Metalhead - Jacques - Egg Thieves
|Artisans - Peace Keepers - Magic Crafters - Beast Makers - Dream Weavers - Gnorc Gnexus|
|Stone Hill - Dark Hollow - Town Square - Dry Canyon - Cliff Town - Ice Cavern - Alpine Ridge|
High Caves - Wizard Peak - Terrace Village - Misty Bog - Tree Tops - Dark Passage - Lofty Castle
- Haunted Towers - Gnorc Cove - Twilight Harbour - Gnasty's Loot
|Sunny Flight - Night Flight - Crystal Flight - Wild Flight - Icy Flight|
|Toasty - Doctor Shemp - Blowhard - Metalhead - Jacques - Gnasty Gnorc|
|Dragons - Treasure - Dragon Eggs|
|Spyro the Dragon - Hunter the Cheetah|
Sparx the Dragonfly - Sgt. James Byrd - Blink the Mole
|Red (Mecha Form)|
Gnasty Gnorc - Ineptune - Mammoth
|Amp - Aqua - Astor - Bentley the Yeti - Ember - Flame - Fredneck - Freezia - Ice Princess - Lily - Magnus|
- Mergatroids - Moneybags - Mrs. Shoutfire - Otto - Peggy - Phil - Professor - Teena - Titan
- Tomas - Trina - Turtle Mother - Wally - Zoe
|Dragon Kingdom - Lost Cities - Icy Wilderness - Volcanic Isle|
Dragon Village - Crocovile Swamp - Dragonfly Falls - Coastal Remains - Cloudy Domain - Sunken Ruins
- Frostbite Village - Gloomy Glacier - Ice Citadel - Stormy Beach - Molten Mount - Magma Falls - Dark Mine
- Red's Lab
|Gnasty's Cave - Watery Tomb - Red's Chamber - Red's Lair|
|Island Speedway - Cloudy Speedway - Iceberg Aerobatics - Lava Palaver|
|Gems - Dark Gems - Light Gems - Dragon Eggs|
|Spyro - Sparx - Ignitus - Volteer - Terrador - Cyril - Cynder|
|Swamp - Dragon Temple - Dragon Dojo - Dante's Freezer (First Flight)|
Tall Plains - Munitions Forge (Escape From Cynder) - Concurrent Skies - Convexity
|Ape Soldiers - Ape Leaders - Ape Commanders - Disciples (DS) - Ape Gunners - Ape Cannons|
Frog Weeds - Growths - Bulb Spiders - Ape Dummies - Dreadwings - Trolls - Ogres - Troll Horsemen
Spider Tanks (DS) - Angler Fish (DS) - Armardillos - Rubble Brutes
Buffalo Beetles - Magma Worms - Fire Beetles - Electric Leeches - Nataloids (DS) - Crystal Brutes - Conduits
|Fire - Electricity - Ice - Earth - Aether|
|Dragons - Dragonflies - Apes - Spirit Gems|