|This article is about the race from the classic series. You may be looking for the race from the Legend series or the Skylanders series.|
Dragons are a race of magical creatures that inhabit the Dragon Realms appears throughout the original Spyro games, of which Spyro himself is a part of. These dragons play a major role throughout the series, usually by being threatened by villains, who Spyro must defeat.
The dragons are primarily based on the typical depiction from western folklore as large horned and winged reptiles. They come in a variety of colors, but according to Shadow Legacy, Purple Dragons are quite rare and special. Young dragons such as Spyro, Flame, and Ember are quadrupeds, while older dragons are bipeds. In the original Spyro the Dragon, all dragons are male. However, in Year of the Dragon, some of the dragon hatchlings are female. Adult female dragons appeared in A Hero's Tail and Shadow Legacy, as well as Ember, a female dragon close to Spyro's age. A Dragon Elder named Cho Lei is also female.
In Year of the Dragon, some Chinese faux-dragons had been created by the Sorceress to rampage in Fireworks Factory. They were long and thin, and were red and purple. In Shadow Legacy, the wizards of Wizard Peak had created Minidragons to attack the fairies of Tree Tops. They were tiny, and all sorts of colours. The Sorcerer was a purple dragon capable of changing form and size. These three kinds of dragons were the only genuinely evil dragons in the original series.
As in most western mythology, dragons are capable of flying and breathing fire (although in Shadow Legacy, Elder Tomas claims to have lost his fire breathing abilities due to old age). Dragons are also highly magical. In fact, they are so magical that their absence causes the Forgotten Worlds to slowly lose its own magic. In Shadow Legacy, the wizards of Wizard Peak worship the dragons due to their superior magical abilities.
In Shadow Legacy, Elder Astor is capable of training Spyro on using ice breath. Unlike in the Legend and Skylanders series, Spyro seems to need outside aid to use other breaths, such as magic from fairies or Bianca.
In Enter the Dragonfly, Dragons are shown to give dragonflies to their hatchlings. The dragonflies' magic protects the young dragons. However, Spyro and Sparx are the only pair of dragon-and-dragonfly ever shown together.
A thousand years prior to the series, dragons lived in the Forgotten Worlds. Their magic was ingrained in the land, allowing the realms to flourish. However, the Sorceress banished the dragons after having an argument with a Dragon Elder, causing all the magic to gradually fade.
According to a book in Shadow Legacy, the new Dragon Realms were founded by the Great Sea Dragon. Carrying her babies on her back, she swam across the ocean from the Forgotten Worlds and washed up on Dragon Shores, where she passed away from exhaustion. A statue was later erected in her honor.
Another book details how following their arrival in the Dragon Realms, the dragons built the Dragon Village using magic and advanced stonemasonry. The wisest dragons then formed the Dragon Elders, governing the other dragons from secluded hills.
In the original trilogy, the Dragons are divided into five families, each inhabiting a different homeworld: Artisans, Peace Keepers, Magic Crafters, Beast Makers, and Dream Weavers. The Artisans focus on creating art, the Peace Keepers act as the military, the Magic Crafters focus on sorcery, the Beast Makers create new species of animals, and the Dream Weavers regulate the dreams of dragons.
Every twelve years, the dragons celebrate the Year of the Dragon. During this festival, fairies deliver new dragon eggs. The dragon eggs will only hatch during this time. After birth, the baby dragons are given baby dragonflies, who both protect them and act as their companions.
The Legend of Spyro series
- Main article: Dragons (The Legend of Spyro)
The Legend of Spyro trilogy focuses on the Dragon race, as well as showing their history and struggles during the war against the Dark Master.
- Main article: Dragons (Skylanders)
Dragons serve as one of the many inhabitants of Skylands in the Skylanders series. Several of them are even Skylanders, the heroes of Skylands.
- The dragons in A Hero's Tail have ears; a feature that younger dragons, like Spyro, Ember, and Flame, lack.
- In the Reignited Trilogy, which is a recreation of the original three games, some of the dragons have been given ears; something they didn't have in the original installments.
- The Classic series had no adult female dragons (only female hatchlings that are seen during Year of the Dragon) up until Shadow Legacy, which introduced Cho-Lei.
- In the Reignited Trilogy, the dragons that Spyro save are redesigned with appearances and accessories that reflect the world they live in.
- Artisans live peaceful lives as sculptors, painters, poets, musicians, actors, inventors and chefs.
- Peace Keepers are hardened soldiers complete with weapons, armor, medals and battle-scars.
- Magic Crafters are wizards possessing staves, potions, tomes, amulets, and other magical items.
- Beast Makers resemble typical swamp-dwellers with items made from sticks, rocks and animal parts.
- Dream Weavers are a sleepy bunch wearing pajamas and carrying around lanterns and dolls. Some are also decorated with star constellations.