|This article is about the race from the Legend series. You may be looking for the race from the classic series or the Skylanders series.|
Long ago, the Dragons were proud and just, revered among the inhabitants of the Realms. They had an alliance with the Moles, and the Moles in turn made a city in dedication of their friendship. The Guardian Dragons created the Dragon Temple to raise and train young dragons. During an unknown time period, Malefor was born; the first purple dragon and the first to wield more than one element. The Dragons believed Malefor to be the hope of Dragonkind and the one who would usher a new age for the Realms. The elders encouraged and willingly taught the purple dragon their elemental secrets, but his power was limitless and grew far beyond what was expected, turning Malefor arrogant with a lack of restraint. He was then cast into exile by the Dragons when he wouldn't stop, and in his seclusion, Malefofr constructed a fortress and recruited an army of Apes that would combat the ones who banished him. The Spirit Gems, the life force of all Dragons, were harvested and used against them by the Apes under Malefor's teachings.
In response to the threat of Malefor, the Guardians and their dragon warriors fought against Malefor's army of Apes while the other Dragons protected the dragon eggs that were their very survival. During the war, many of the Guardian Dragons lost their lives, leaving only four Guardians to remain. Numerous raids were inflicted on the Dragon race which resulted in many dragon eggs being smashed, endangering their existence. The most devastating raid was the one that took place at the Dragon Temple; the only eggs that survived the attack were Spyro and Cynder's.
As a result of the war, and a corrupted Cynder devastating the realms under her rule, many dragons were killed. It is presumed that the survivors had gone into hiding after losing the war. Remnants of what was once a proud race are littered throughout the land, serving as a reminder of what had happened and what was once was. It was mentioned by Hunter of Avalar that Gaul had placed a bounty on all of the Dragons, including Spyro, when the Night of Eternal Darkness drew near. During the events of The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon, Dragon soldiers took part in battling against Malefor's Grublin army and the Destroyer.
Dragons have different breaths that are based on the color of their scales or eyes: Red for Fire, Yellow for Electricity, Blue for Ice, or Green for Earth. Ignitus has stated that when a dragon dies, they become a part of nature and with the elements (this may be how spirit gems are created).
- The Purple Dragon, including Spyro, is a rare species of dragon that can master any element other dragons can't, and can even control time to a certain extent.
- Cynder, having been corrupted by Malefor, is a black dragon who controls abilities that are most uncommon: Shadow, Wind, Poison, and Fear.
- According to Jared Pullen, the dragons are capable of holding and manipulating objects with their front paws. However while they have opposable thumbs in some art pieces, they lack them in the final version of the games. The Chronicler is able to scribe in more than one tome at once through the use of spiritual magics, which includes levitation and object manipulation.
- One of Pullen's inspirations for the dragons' anatomy was The Lion King.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Q/A with Jared Pullen, lead concept artist of TLoS
- ↑ All dragons in TLoS can hold and manipulate objects with their front paws/talons most definitely, and write if need be.
- ↑ I've always been a fan of The Lion King, in fact the basic inkling of my dragon's body forms for TLoS were inspired in the most part by The Lion King
|The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning - The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night |
The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon
|The Eternal Night Promotional Movies - Cancelled 3D film|