|This article is about the race from The Legend of Spyro series. You may be looking for the race from the classic series or the Skylanders series.|
- The Purple Dragon, including Spyro, is a rare species of dragon that can master more than one element other dragons can't, and can even control time to a certain extent.
- Cynder, having been corrupted by Malefor, is a black dragon who controls abilities that are most uncommon among Dragons: Shadow, Wind, Poison, and Fear.
Dragons are notably the only creature who draw strength from the Spirit Gems, which also serve as their lifeforce. Ignitus has stated that when a Dragon dies, their spirit becomes a part of nature and with the elements (which may explain where Spirit Gems came from).
Long ago, the Dragons were proud and just, revered among the inhabitants of the Realms. They had an alliance with the Moles, and the Moles in turn made a city in dedication of their friendship. The Guardian Dragons created the Dragon Temple to raise and train young dragons.During an unknown time period, Malefor was born; the first purple dragon and the first specimen to wield more than one element. The Dragons believed Malefor to be the hope of Dragonkind and the one who would usher them into a new age for the Realms. The elders encouraged and willingly taught the purple dragon their elemental secrets, but his power was limitless and grew far beyond what was expected, turning Malefor arrogant with a lack of restraint. He was then cast into exile by the Dragons when he wouldn't stop, and in his seclusion, Malefor constructed a fortress and recruited an army of Apes that would combat the ones who banished him. The Spirit Gems, the life force of all Dragons, were harvested and used against them by the Apes under Malefor's teachings.
In response to the threat of Malefor, who was now called the "Dark Master", the Guardians and their dragon warriors fought against Malefor's army of Apes, dubbed the Dark Armies, while other Dragons protected the dragon eggs that were their very survival. The war would last for over a thousand years, with the inhabitants of the Realms coming to fear the Dragon race due to Malefor's maniacal quest for power. Eventually Malefor was stopped; his soul imprisoned within his mountain fortress, the Mountain of Malefor, and by extension, within the altar in Convexity. Despite this setback, the Dark Master was still able to enforce the Apes from beyond, continuing the war for many years. Many of the Guardian Dragons lost their lives during the struggle, leaving only four to remain. Numerous raids were inflicted on the Dragon race which resulted in many dragon eggs being smashed, endangering their existence. The most devastating raid was the one that took place at the Dragon Temple; the only eggs that survived the attack were Spyro and Cynder's.
As a result of the war, and a corrupted Cynder devastating the realms under her rule, many dragons were killed. It is presumed that the survivors had gone into hiding after losing the war. Remnants of what was once a proud race are littered throughout the land, serving as a reminder of what had happened and what was once was.
Around the events of The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night, Hunter of Avalar informed Spyro via letter that the Ape King Gaul had placed a bounty on all of the Dragons, including Spyro, when the Night of Eternal Darkness drew near. Before and during the events of The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon, Dragon soldiers took part in battling against Malefor's Grublin army and the Destroyer.
- According to Jared Pullen, the dragons are capable of holding and manipulating objects with their front paws. However while they have opposable thumbs in some art pieces, they lack them in the final version of the games. The Chronicler is able to scribe in more than one tome at once through the use of spiritual magics, which includes levitation and object manipulation.
- One of Pullen's inspirations for the anatomy of the dragons in The Legend of Spyro came from Disney's animated classic, The Lion King.
- Dragons are long lived in The Legend of Spyro series, with one known specimen (The Chronicler) having lived over a thousand years or more.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Q/A with Jared Pullen, lead concept artist of TLoS
- ↑ All dragons in TLoS can hold and manipulate objects with their front paws/talons most definitely, and write if need be.
- ↑ I've always been a fan of The Lion King, in fact the basic inkling of my dragon's body forms for TLoS were inspired in the most part by The Lion King (little known fact.) Proud chests, robust shoulders and powerful forelimbs, all converging and co-existing in a pleasing and economical way.
- ↑ https://www.deviantart.com/comments/1/602787192/4120733660
|The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning - The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night |
The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon
|The Eternal Night Promotional Movies - Cancelled 3D film|