Frozen Altars is an ice realm in Spyro: Year of the Dragon and in the Reignited Trilogy remaster of the third game. It can be accessed in the Evening Lake homeworld via swimming after defeating Spike.
At the time Spyro was in the Forgotten Worlds looking for the Dragon Eggs, the Penguins in this realm had been tricked by the Sorceress into constructing several large snowmen, which had come to life. Desperate for a solution, they bought a laser defense system from Moneybags, but were unable to use it due to their flippers. When Spyro arrives, Alex asks him to use the laser defense system so that the snowmen can be taken down. After making his way through the realm, Spyro is rewarded an egg by Eugene as thanks.
In this realm, special ice fairies temporarily granted Spyro the ability to breathe ice as opposed to fire, so that he can temporarily turn enemies, as well as the penguins, into ice blocks.
- Melt the Snowmen (Jana): Go through the realm, defeat the snowmen, and reach Eugene who will give you an egg.
- Catch the Ice Cats (Ba'ah): In order to access this sub-level, you will have to pay Moneybags 800 gems. Errol sprained his flipper whilst warming up for a cat hockey match, and asks Spyro to take his place. Get 5 cats into your goal before your opponent does to win and get the egg.
- Across the Rooftops (Jasper): Next to the laser defense tower overlooking four Wooly Mammoths, there is a ledge near the top of the tower, behind three gem vases. Jump onto it, then glide to the ledge above the underground pathway in front of you. Then, glide over to the top of the other laser defense tower, and there will be a small pathway next to the big temple. Finally, around the corner of the temple is where the egg will be.
- Glide from the Temple Roof (Cecil): To get to this egg, first, turn Ernest into an ice block. Next, stand on top of him, and glide to the ledge leading to the big temple. Then, climb all the steps to the top. Lastly, glide to the top of the laser defense tower, and then to the floating island to reach the egg.
- Box the Yeti (Aly): In Bentley's sub-level, Bartholomew lost his ball, and believes that the Colossus Yeti took it. Both Bentley and the Yeti agree to a boxing match. Beat the Yeti to get the egg.
- Box the Yeti Again! (Ricco): After beating the Yeti the first time, Bartholomew convinces Bentley to fight the Yeti again, since he still doesn't have his ball. This time, it is a three round match, and both fighters' health will regenerate a bit each match. Beat the Yeti within three rounds to win the egg. Later, Bartholomew realizes that he let one of the penguins borrow it, and apologizes to Bentley for wasting his time.
- Beat Yeti in Two Rounds: When boxing the Yeti in a three-round match, beat the yeti within two rounds to receive a skill point.
Achievements & Trophies (Reignited Trilogy)
- A Dozen Cold Ones: Use ice breath to freeze 12 enemies.
- PS4: Bronze Trophy
- XBOX One: 20G
In Frozen Altars, Bentley dons a blue boxing outfit, along with blue gloves. This makes it the only time that a playable character (other than Hunter, who changes forms at least three times during the game) takes on a different form for certain reasons. Also, the Colossus Yeti dons a red boxing outfit, with red gloves.
|Frozen Altars (Part 1) - Spyro: Year of the Dragon||Frozen Altars (Part 2) - Spyro: Year of the Dragon|
- This realm seems to be based on both Antarctica and South America with the Penguins and the Incan-themed enemies and temples, respectively.
- Although having the same effect on enemies and the penguins, Spyro's ice breath in this realm is visually similar to his fire breath attack, unlike the snowball attack as seen in Cloud Temples.
- Alex is the only penguin resident to not have a name beginning with “E”.
- If you talk to Moneybags for the second time after paying him, he says that he bribed the local team to forfeit to the Rhynocs. This is evidence that Errol actually faked his flipper sprain so that he would take the bribe and not play against the Rhynocs.
- Also, it's heavily implied that the "bear" who put up the ice block was, indeed, Moneybags.
- He is also the only character in the realm, other than the snowmen, that cannot turn into an ice block.
- This realm was to be mentioned in Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly, but the reference was cut.
- In Bentley's sub-level, adding a controller to slot 2 will allow boxing to be multiplayer. Also, one of the sounds the Yeti makes when hit is similar to the sound Crush makes when hit in Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage!.
- When you talk to Errol again after beating cat hockey, he says that the Rhynoc "retired from the sport for good". However, he will still make an attempt at scoring the remaining cats into his goal.
- When Ba'ah hatches, he looks like an ordinary sheep fodder, but is quickly revealed to be a baby dragon in a sheep costume.
- Despite keeping his name like every other baby dragon, Ba'ah no longer has his sheep costume in the Reignited Trilogy.