- “No Chain, No Gain!”
- —Ghost Roaster's official catchphrase
Ghost Roaster (ゴーストロースター in Japanese) is a skeletal ghoul who is one of the playable Skylanders in the Skylanders series, first appearing in Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure. He is available exclusively in the Darklight Crypt Adventure Pack.
During the development of Spyro's Kingdom, Ghost Roaster was originally called Ghost Eater.
Ghost Roaster is known for his relentless, undying appetite for ghosts (particularly evil ghosts). However, being a chef, he is good in the kitchen for making delicious recipes.
There was a time when Ghost Roaster was neither a ghost nor a roaster. Instead he was a chef living in a village high in the mountains. One day, while clipping wool from a sheep to use in a recipe, he accidentally fell into the Valley of the Undead and transformed into a ghost-eating ghoul! After eating an entire spectral village, its Ethereal Ruler chained Ghost Roaster to a spiked ball as punishment. Its rattle can be heard as he wanders the night, warning nearby spirits. When Master Eon eventually heard of his predicament, he figured even a ghost eater could be useful. So he made Ghost Roaster a Skylander... after he promised to eat only evil ghosts.
Ghost Roaster absolutely loved food. From spectre soup to phantasm fries, he regarded any undead recipe with relish (and sometimes tops them with relish too). But Ghost Roaster wasn't always a gobbling soul; he was once a simple chef called Olav. Olav lived in a mountain-top village and was said to serve the best sheep-wool stew in all of Skylands (not that anyone had ever tried it anywhere else there). One day, when Olav was wandering the hills searching for sheep (or, more specifically, their wool), he slipped down the mountain side. Luckily, he bounced on his behind and made a soft landing in the valley below. Unluckily, his bottom was badly bruised. More unluckily still, he had entered the Valley of the Undead, and his days as a friendly foodie were over.
A famished Olav, or 'Ghost Roaster' as he decided to call himself, went in immediate search for a bite to eat. Luckily, a nearby ghost town was spilling over with puffy white spooks - which Ghostie promptly treated as a paranormal all-you-can-eat buffet. Understandably, the town's ethereal ruler was a little irritated to find its inhabitants completely devoured. So, as punishment, he chained Ghost Roaster to a rattling spiked ball to warn any wandering spirits. Taking pity on the skeletal ghoul, Master Eon made Ghost Roaster a Skylander - but only after he swore not to turn Hex into a hamburger.
Secret Agent Secrets
Ghost Roaster, Voodood, and Boomer were Buzz's elite team of Skylanders when they mysteriously disappeared while on a mission at Motleyville and haven't returned for months. SuperChargers, Spitfire, Stormblade and Nightfall, were assigned to find the lost Skylanders at their last known location. Upon getting ambushed by Spell Punks lead by Spellslamzer, the SuperChargers were suddenly defeated and knocked unconscious by Ghost Roaster, Voodood, and Boomer, who were now working for Spellslamzer.
With the three SuperChargers detained, Spellslamzer announced his plan to raid the Mabu Radiance mines of its rare and powerful minerals, therefore controlling the crystal supply to become the supreme power in all of Skylands. As Stormblade wondered why Voodood, Ghost Roaster, and Boomer would turn their backs on Skylands and Master Eon, Ghost Roaster revealed that he and the other two Elites grew tired of being tossed aside and forgotten while the Skylanders such as the SuperChargers, SWAP Force and the Giants are more appreciated. The ghost Skylander would later stop Spitfire, Stormblade and Nightfall when they attempted to escape and Spellslamzer had the three SuperChargers strapped helplessly to the front of their own vehicles as the evil Spell Punk and his army ride out towards the Mabu mines.
During their attack on the Radiance Mines, Voodood and Boomer turned against Spellslamzer, revealing that all three Elites were pretending to be evil from the start. However Ghost Roaster held onto the belief that he and the Elites would simply be tossed aside and forgotten even if they turn in Spellslamzer; the ghoul remained on Spellslamzer's side, eventually engaging his former friends in battle. He fought against Stormblade and got his ball and chain stuck to the ground during the struggle. Ghost Roaster demanded Stormblade to take him down like any other bad guy, but she refused, reminding Ghost Roaster that he was a hero and someone who takes a special kind of courage to risk so much for no reward.
Moved by Stormblade's words, Ghost Roaster threw his ball and chain at the Radiance crystals under Spellslamzer, blowing them up and knocking Spellslamzer unconscious. The ghoul Skylander returned to the side of good, complimenting Stormblade's heroism and receiving forgiveness for his actions from his fellow Skylanders.
Being a ghoul, Ghost Roaster can turn intangible to avoid enemy attacks, but it drains his health in the process. He can also turn into a flaming and speeding skull, and strike his enemies using the spiked ball or spike of his chain.
These are the starting and maximum statistics for this Skylander in the console version of the games.
- Health: 280 (max. 560)
- Speed: 43 (max. 91)
- Armor: 24 (max. 54)
- Critical Hit: 20 (max. 70)
- Elemental Power: 25 (max. 100)
Warning: These stats are not used in any of the Skylander games. They are only listed for completeness reasons.
- Strength: 60
- Agility: 40
- Defense: 85
- Luck: 40
Powers and Upgrades
These abilities are available from the start of the game.
|Soul Gem Ability|
Requires Soul Gem from:
|Chain Whip||Skull Charge||Lingering Curse|
Skylanders can buy new abilities from Persephone.
|Pain Chain||Metalhead||Ectoplasm Mode||Haunt|
This upgrade path lets you further develop your Ectoplasmic abilties.
|Phase Shift Burst||Ecto-Friendly||Nightmare Touch|
This upgrade path lets you further develop your Skull Dash attack.
|Fright Bite||Unfinished Business||Life Transfer|
Skylanders gain new abilities automatically based on their level.
- Tail Flail (Primary Attack): Whip enemies with Ghost Roaster's ball and chain.
- Ghostly Gathering (Secondary Attack): Summon two ghosts. Send a ghost at the nearest enemies and the enemy will be haunted and take damage for a few seconds.
- Skull Sprint (requires level: 2): Press (X) to summon ghosts, then Sprint (A) to consume a ghost and turn Ghost Roaster into a giant skull. When in skull form, Ghost Roaster will damage nearby enemies.
- Flailspin (requires level: 5): Press (Y), (Y), then hold (Y) to keep spinning Ghost Roaster's ball and chain. Use the Circle Pad to move Ghost Roaster during a Flailspin and reach more enemies.
- Scary Stun (requires level: 8): Press (X) for Ghost Roaster's Ghostly Gathering. Nearby enemies will be stunned when he summons ghosts.
Skylanders get special abilities in minigames based on their element.
|Sky Defense||Castle Assault||Ground Defense|
Curse enemies in range and make them more vulnerable to attacks for a certain time.
Launch a projectile that accelerates to a high velocity instantly.
Curse enemies in range and inflict damage.
- "No Chain, No Gain! Ahahahahaaaa!"
- "Bad to the Bone!"
- "Spooky good!" - When upgraded
- "Didn't see me coming did ya?! - When opening a gate
- "Gonna slip right through!" - When opening a gate
- "Fun fun fun!" - When using a bounce pad
- "Boo!" - When using bounce pad
- "Good enough to eat!"- When opening a treasure chest
- "Stopping by my old haunts!" - When entering an Undead elemental area
- "The ghost with the most!" - Stats screen
- "Shall we engrave these numbers?" - Stats screen
- "Ohh! Good look for me!" - Equipping a hat
- "Ooh! I'll look great in this!" - Equipping a hat
- "Ooh, scary!" - Given a nickname
- "Think I can get used to this." - Given a nickname
- His catchphrase "No Chain, No Gain" is a joke on the saying "No Pain, No Gain."
- His name may have been a reference to Marvel's Ghost Rider.
- Ghost Roaster looks like a cross between a ghost, a skeleton, and a vampire.
- In the 3DS version of Skylanders, Ghost Roaster has the ball and chain attached to the end of his tail by a shackle, while in the console versions, the ball and chain was chained into the tail-like end of Ghost Roaster.
- Ghost Roaster's attire was originally red.
- He is the only Skylander who can die in the Ruins due to his ectoplasm mode.
- Ghost Roaster shares similarities to the Mortal Kombat character, Scorpion, as it gives him a kunai-like weapon at the end of his chain in substitution to the spiked mace as well as the ability to make ghosts when something is defeated with the chain whip.
- He bears a resemblance with the Boos from the Super Mario series as both are ghosts and also laugh.
- When moving in-game, Ghost Roaster's chain can be heard scraping on the ground.
- His original name, Olav, is often confused with the Capital One visigoth Olaf.
- His Skull Charge is similar to the video game character Pac Man, as both involve chomping and eating ghosts.
- One time Ghost Roaster was about to unknowingly crack open one of Sonic Boom's eggs into a mixing bowl to whip up a batch of pancakes. Needless to say Sonic Boom wasn't happy, and poor Ghost Roaster didn't know what hit him!
- Ghost Roaster's English voice in Giants sounds exactly like T-Bone's.
- In spite of this, he still has a few of his old cackles and screams recycled from Spyro's Adventure.
- In the Wii version of Spyro's Adventure, his Skull Charge can only hit each opponent once per use. In the other verions however, he can chomp his opponent multiple times.
- When John Kassir portrayed Ghost Roaster, his voice resembles to the Cryptkeeper from Tales from the Crypt. Coincidentally, they are both undead characters.
- While Slam Bam and Terrafin are the only two Skylanders from the Adventure Packs to have Series 2 toy forms as well as being sold as single packs, Ghost Roaster and Sunburn are the only two that do not.
- Despite having a voice in Giants, Ghost Roaster doesn't say any battle cries after winning a battle in multiplayer. He'll laugh just like he did in Spyro's Adventure.
- Skylanders Official Sticker Book: Meet the Skylanders
- Skylanders: Universe - Book of Elements: Air & Earth, page 18
|The Legend of Spyro series|
|Spyro the Dragon (Dark) (Legendary) - Gill Grunt - Trigger Happy (Legendary) - Cynder - Terrafin|
Stealth Elf (Legendary) - Chop Chop (Legendary) - Eruptor - Ignitor (Legendary) - Prism Break - Stump Smash
Flameslinger - Zap - Ghost Roaster - Voodood - Bash (Legendary) - Sonic Boom
- Drobot - Boomer - Whirlwind (Polar) - Dino-Rang - Zook - Wrecking Ball - Sunburn - Camo
Wham-Shell - Slam Bam (Legendary) - Drill Sergeant - Lightning Rod - Warnado -
Double Trouble (Royal) - Hex