- “Grublins! In the valley! Prepare your weapons!”
- —Cheetah soldier
Grublins are the artificially created servants of Malefor in The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon. They are the main enemy force in the game, serving as Malefor's army during his attack on the Dragon Realms.
A common type of Grublin, whose rank matches that of an Ape Soldier, is mostly encountered a lot of times in Dawn of the Dragon and are the easiest enemies to defeat.
At the start of The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon production, Étranges Libellules explored several concepts, but quickly came upon and were appealed by the idea of creating enemies based on elements such as rock, wood or earth. Several rough drafts of these enemies, some designed by Yan Le Pon, made it into final version of the game.
Grublins were created by Malefor with an unknown dark spell that generates groups of ten to fifteen from the earth. The members in these groups consider each other as brothers. Each Grublin seen generally has this number of siblings. They serve as soldiers for Malefor's dark forces, and are his replacements for the Apes.
Like the Apes, there are a variety of these forces: the smaller common variety, and the bigger and large commanders. Because they were molded from out of the earth, they hold the ability to burrow underground to avoid further damage from Spyro and Cynder, except the Wyverns. Some Grublins however, look like mutant flies, while others take a far more different and intimidating form.
Grublins only communicate through grunts and roars, which can be translated through the optional subtitles in the game.
List of enemies associated with the Grublins
- Grublin Flies
- Goblin Messengers (DS Version)
- Hero Grublins
- Their names are a pun/ amalgam on the word "goblins" and "grubs."
- Coincidentally, a common enemy from the Banjo Kazooie series is called "Grublin" as well.
- It may be possible that these Orcs, Trolls and Wyverns are not the real mythical creatures, but only artificial copies of the original ones.
- The Grublins being artificial is very similar to the Gnorcs from the original Spyro game, since they too are artificially-bred creatures as they were once Gems, but were turned into creatures by Gnasty Gnorc.
The Dam - The Destroyer - The Burned Lands - Floating Islands - Malefor's Lair
Trolls - Bowman Orcs - Wyverns - Shadow Apes