Haunted Tomb is an ancient Egyptian realm in Spyro: Year of the Dragon and in the Reignited Trilogy remaster of the third game. It can be accessed in the Midnight Mountain homeworld after collecting 70 Dragon Eggs.
This realm is strongly based on ancient Egypt with Egyptian Dogs that like to tell riddles, mummified Rhynocs in caskets, and Earthshapers that throw white rocks that explode. When Spyro enters the tomb, an Egyptian Dog named Dan challenges him to make it to the end alive and solve a riddle for a prize, hoping that he is "made of tougher stuff than the last guy (was)".
The realm features doors that are activated by switches, harmful falling rocks throughout, and a treacherous snake slide. After making it to the end, another Egyptian Dog named Allgeier gives Spyro the riddle again, and rewards Spyro with an egg after successfully answering it.
- Release the Temple Dweller (Will): Given to you by Allgeier at the end of the realm when you answer "an egg" in his riddle.
- Snake Slide (Malcom): Across from Agent 9's portal is a ladder, which leads to the beginning of a slide. Reach the end without falling off to obtain this egg.
- Tank Blast I (MJ): In this sub-level, Jamal is hosting a hovercraft demolition derby, and says that there is room for one more contestant, which happens to be Spyro. Complete the first round of the competition without dying to get this egg.
- Tank Blast II (TJ): After winning the first round, Spyro is eligible to compete in the championship round. There will be much more enemy hovercraft this time, making the challenge more difficult. Simply put, complete the championship round without dying to get this egg. If Sparx's health is low, it's a good idea to leave the sub-level and heal him before starting the second challenge.
- Clear the Caves (Roxy): In Agent 9's sub-level, Ali challenges him to complete "The Five Trials of King Rover". Basically, defeat every enemy in the level and reach the end to find this egg.
- Climb the Wall (Christine): In one of the rooms is a small ledge with a ladder. Climb the ladder and an egg will be there.
Swim into the Dark Hole
- In the room where you meet the first two Earthshapers, follow the short river to its source to get a skill point.
Achievement & Trophy (Reignited Trilogy)
A Sarcopha-Kinda Guy'
- Destroy All Sarcophagi.
- PS4: Bronze Trophy
- XBOX One: 20G
|Haunted Tomb (Part 1) - Spyro: Year of the Dragon||Haunted Tomb (Part 2) - Spyro: Year of the Dragon|
These riddles must be answered correctly in order to progress through the challenges. An answer in bold is correct.
Dan & Allgeier's Riddle
"I am a vessel without hinges, lock, or lid. Yet, within my walls, a golden treasure is hid. What am I?"
- A bone
- An egg
- A treasure chest
- A bandicoot
"If one dragon can lay one egg in twelve years, how long would it take for 100 dragons to lay 100 eggs?"
- 1200 years
- 100 years
- Twelve years
- 1 year
"I follow you wherever you go, but the more of me you take, the more you leave behind. What am I?"
- A shadow
- A giant lizard
- The name of one of the baby dragons, MJ, is likely a reference to former Cerny Games designer and producer Michael "MJ" John. It's often speculated that it might also be a reference to the late pop star Michael Jackson, whose name was commonly shortened to MJ.
- Furthermore, one of the Egyptian Dogs is named Allgeier, after Insomniac designer Brian Allgeier.
- Another Egyptian Dog, Dan, was likely named after Dan Johnson, another Insomniac Games staff member. Johnson was known for his common in-game cameos, notably in the Ratchet & Clank series. He also appears on the "wanted" posters in Dino Mines. In addition, there is also a dragon egg in Dino Mines that is named Dan.
- After hatching, MJ juggles three colorful balls - the only baby dragon in the game to do so.
- When Allgeier gives you his riddle, one of the answers you can give is "a bandicoot". This is likely a reference to Crash Bandicoot.
- This realm was originally called Catacomb Caverns.
- In all versions of the game except the Greatest Hits version, this realm shares its theme with Cloud Spires.
- Sometimes, the Scarab Beetles will walk in thin air as if a platform is there.
- In Agent 9's sub-level, the main realm's theme plays instead of the one from Agent 9's Lab.