The Ice King is a large ghoul covered in red metal armor. Above his big armored helmet lie two horns made of ice. Afterwards, Spyro defeated him, he appeared to be nothing but a skeleton covered in red armor. He may have been resting in the area where you fight him or he might have been expecting Spyro and was pretending to sleep.
The Ice King uses weapons forged from ice and can breathe ice, setting the similarities for the boss fights of the Electric King, who is also fought much later in A New Beginning in the level Concurrent Skies, and the Executioner in The Eternal Night. The Ice King begins the battle with a shield and sword, the former blocking all attacks until it's destroyed by Spyro's flame breath. The boss also utilizes a force field when hit many times, and can also rain down icicles from the ceiling. If you melee the icicles he summons after they get stuck in the ground, red and green gems will come from them. If you are within range, the boss will use his fist to smash Spyro flat against the floor or swing his sword.
The Ice King's shield will repel Spyro if he is too close to him for a few moments, but Spyro's secondary fire attack can still pass through the snowflake-like barrier. After depleting his first health bar, the boss will shed most of his armor and lose his cape, creating a pole-axe in place of his sword. This gives him a much longer reach with his attacks now. The king now moves much slower on his skeletal feet, but can occasionally stomp the ground to send a damaging wave of spiked ice in Spyro's direction. Attack his sides or back before he can turn to face you and use fireballs to go through his force field, and Spyro will come out victorious.
- The Ice King is the first boss in the The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning, as well as the first boss in the whole Legend of Spyro trilogy.
- The Ice King looks similar to the Electric King, Executioner, and the Elemental Spirits in The Eternal Night, and they also fight Spyro the same exact way as well.
- Despite needing to be fought to free Volteer, the Ice King may not have been guarding him, as the Ghouls were enemies of the Dark Master's forces. He may have merely been in the wrong place at the wrong time.
- There's is a boss villain in Paper Mario 64 that shared the same name.
- Ice King's name is also the name of the villain "Ice King" from the Cartoon Network animated series, Adventure Time.
|Spyro - Sparx - Ignitus - Volteer - Terrador - Cyril - Cynder|
|Swamp - Dragon Temple - Dragon Dojo - Dante's Freezer (First Flight)|
Tall Plains - Munitions Forge - Concurrent Skies - Convexity
|Ape Soldiers - Ape Leaders - Ape Commanders - Disciples (DS) - Ape Gunners - Ape Cannons|
Frog Weeds - Growths - Bulb Spiders - Ape Dummies - Dreadwings - Trolls - Ogres - Troll Horsemen
Spider Tanks (DS) - Angler Fish (DS) - Armardillos - Rubble Brutes
Buffalo Beetles - Magma Worms - Fire Beetles - Electric Leeches - Nataloids (DS) - Crystal Brutes - Conduits
|Fire - Electricity - Ice - Earth - Aether|
|Dragons - Dragonflies - Apes - Spirit Gems|