Ripto's Arena is the last Boss Realm in Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage. It is the site where Spyro battles Ripto, in addition to a Robot Gulp and then a giant bird, summoned by Ripto later in the battle to assist him.
The first stage of the battle is between Spyro and Ripto and takes place on the arena floor on top of the castle of Winter Tundra. Spyro must dodge Ripto's attacks while collecting orbs before he does. When Spyro collects three orbs he can use a special attack, which damages Ripto. Ripto's only attack, without the orbs, is to shoot fireballs from his sceptor. Note that on his own, Spyro's attacks cannot harm Ripto. He only jumps and yells, "NO!"
The second stage of the battle is basically the same except this time Ripto is on Robot Gulp and he is slightly harder. It is a good idea to get them (the orbs) before Robot Gulp does, as the he can harness a lot of power from them. Robot Gulp then explodes as he gets defeated, and Ripto falls off him.
After this, Spyro moves onto the final stage of the battle. Ripto turns a gold orb into a giant robotic bird (very similar to the ones from Gulp's Overlook and Skelos Badlands), destroys the arena floor (converted into a huge lava pool), and Spyro must fight Ripto as he flies on the back of a giant robotic bird. Spyro eventually defeats Ripto with his superflame powerup.
Spyro must collect three orbs before he can use them to attack. The type of attack Spyro uses depends on the type of the last of the three orbs he collects. After the defeat of Robot Gulp special orbs appear.
The Orb Effects for Spyro
- Red Orb: Superflame
- Green Orb: Plasma Bombs
- Blue Orb: Super-charge
- Gold Orb: Super Flame & Flight Combo
The Orb Effects for Ripto
- Red Orb: Fires flame-waves from Ripto's scepter. Jump to keep Spyro from getting singed. Ripto will release three waves of this.
- Green Orb: Emits hot waves of spherical, gaseous green 'fire.' from Ripto's scepter) Move away from these, as they can burn you.
- Blue Orb: Surrounds him with blue, electric orbs. Charge away to avoid getting shocked.
- Gold Orb: Transforms the Orb into a Robot Bird, and grants Ripto the ability to shoot green homing blasts from his scepter instead of his usual red fire shots.
The Orb effects for Robot Gulp
- Red Orb: Creates a fire-worm creature from the mouth. You'll want to charge away from this.
- Green Orb: Laser-vision. Jump to avoid this.
- Blue Orb: Shoots a barrage of light-blue electricity balls from of Robot Gulp's horns. Charge away from their shadows as they fall from above.
- Gold Orb: The Orbs appear when you defeat Robot Gulp.
|Ripto's Arena - Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage!|
- Hunter uses his wings to fly around the area and drop the magical orbs. After Robot Gulp explodes, however, he is seen hitting the wall of the arena and falling into the lava. Apparently, he somehow survives.
- During the Robot Gulp fight, if you make him swallow a red orb last, he will shoot a blast of worm-shaped fire. If, during this, Spyro manages to approach Gulp and then move swiftly to the side, the fire will hit Robot Gulp and it will take damage (the same thing can be done with rockets against the real Gulp).
- In the first round of the battle, you can actually avoid Ripto's flames from hitting you by jumping quick and high.
- In the last round of the battle (where you and Ripto are flying), charging Ripto (if you are near him, that is) will cost him a decrease in health. But if you are far from him, just make use of your Superflame, to avoid yourself from losing precious health.
- If you can defeat Ripto in all three stages without getting hit, you can get a well-deserved skill point. This skill point is incredibly difficult to get, but can be easy with infinite superflame.
- 40 Orbs are needed to break the seal on the door.
- The background is used in a lot of other levels in the Spyro series, such as the "Game Over" screen from Spyro the Dragon, Fracture Hills, Winter Tundra, and Lost Fleet.
- In the PAL version, the opera singer is omitted from the music.