Seashell Shore (also known as Shell Beach) is a realm in Spyro: Year of the Dragon and in the Reignited Trilogy remaster of the third game. It can be accessed in the Sunrise Spring homeworld after collecting 14 Dragon Eggs.
Three Seals, Sigmund, Sal, and Stu, were taking a Rhynoc submarine for a spin, but accidentally crashed it. In revenge, the Rhynocs "arrested" the seals, and threw them in an underwater prison cell. After Sebastian the Seal returns from Sunrise Spring, he finds his friends being held captive, and calls on Spyro to help free them. In order to do so, Spyro has to reach the other side of the cell and defeat the octopus holding the jail key and Stanley the Seal captive. After the seals are freed, Stanley gives Spyro an egg he found in a Rhynoc's lunchbox as a reward.
After Sheila is released, she goes to help some other seals blow up a Rhynoc sand fortress that is guarding another egg.
- Free the Seals (Dizzy): Reach the end of the realm and free the seals by charging into an Octopus holding the jail key and Stanley the Seal captive.
- Under the Docks (Jason): Before the first set of Sailor Rhynocs, there is a dock with a pool of water below it. An egg is located in one of the corners of the pool.
- Clear Out the Pipe (Duke): In this challenge portal, an egg was accidentally sent through a high-speed water tunnel, and the only way to retrieve it is to reach the end while defeating every Rhynoc in the tunnel and avoiding water mines.
- Defeat the Shark Sub (Jackie): In this challenge portal, Bluto the Rhynoc challenges Spyro and the seals to a naval battle with his robotic shark. Defeat Bluto to get the egg.
- Destroy the Sand Castle (Mollie): In this Sheila portal, the seals have discovered a Rhynoc sand fortress guarding an egg and plan to blow it up with TNT crates. However, it is heavily guarded, so they ask Sheila for help. Destroy the smaller sand and metal blocks surrounding the fortress within the time limit so that the seals can blow it up and give you the egg.
- Hop to the Secret Cave (Jared): In the same Sheila portal, there is a hidden cave that contains an egg and a ground-pound gem chest. It can be found after jumping across the two pillars and double-jumping left.
- Catch the Funky Chicken: There is a very fast chicken fodder in the area around the entryway leading to Stanley the Seal being held captive by an octopus. Hitting it with an underwater charge will earn you a skill point.
In the area where Spyro rescues Stanley the Seal from the octopus, there is a rare chance that Spyro can get sucked to the bottom and act like he isn't underwater. The player can't move nor pause, and the only way out is to restart the game.
|Seashell Shore (Part 1) - Spyro: Year of the Dragon||Seashell Shore (Part 2) - Spyro: Year of the Dragon|
- This realm's name is based off the famous tongue-twister, "She sells seashells down by the seashore."
- In all versions of the game except the Greatest Hits version, Crystal Islands shares its music theme with this realm.
- The skybox in this realm is the same as Sunny Beach.
- The seals in this realm are voiced by Pamela Hayden, of The Simpsons fame. She also voices Bianca, Nancy and the Weather Imps.
- In the Spyro Reignited Trilogy, the end of Smelt's dialogue is changed from "K.P." to "kitchen patrol".
- The earliest demo version of the game contains a number of differences from the final version:
- Some of the Rhynoc sound effects - like the "YEOW!" sound - are missing.
- Zoe's audio dialogue was not present at this point in development, possibly due to the change in voice actors between Spyro 2 and Spyro: Year of the Dragon. Her Atlas dialogue is entirely absent from the game, and her dialogue about gliding is different.
- Her dialogue about the Atlas was added in later demos, but she still doesn't use this dialogue in game, as the Atlas can't be used in the demos.
- Sheila's portals are slightly larger than they're supposed to be, resulting in the portal "bleeding" out enough to allow the player to exit Sheila's sublevel by jumping on top of the portal frame.
- The "funky chicken" skill point can't be earned - hunting down the chicken gives no skill point.
- Gem placement is slightly different, and there are 200 gems instead of 400. There's also only 10,000 gems overall pre-Super Bonus Round as opposed to 15,000.
- The eggs used several different sound effects while hatching (with Seashell Shore using completely different sounds of its own), had fewer animations, and were green in the HUD. Their in-world models still used their final design, though. The baby dragons in this level had different names:
- Dizzy was named Jose.
- Jason was named Keifer.
- Duke was named Basil.
- Jackie was named Jael.
- Mollie was named Iolanthe.
- In the game's third demo, Mollie was spelt Molly.
- Jared was named Elton.