Skelos Badlands (バッドランド: Badland) is a large desert-like world in Autumn Plains, a realm in Avalar, dominated by friendly cavemen (known as Bone Builders in the epilogue). It appeared in Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! and Spyro: Shadow Legacy. The world also has numerous lava pits and, like any self-respecting desert, cacti. Watch out for the flying Catbats and the Fire Wizards. This stage is the sister stage to Crystal Glacier, as evidenced by their similar inhabitants and prehistoric settings.
Two cavemen cousins, Gronk and Glug, have placed a bet on whether or not Spyro can make it through their realm without getting singed. To get the Ancient Bone, you must make it through the Badlands without getting singed.
Lava lizards I: A caveman elder named Lumpy, warns Spyro about his village being overrun with ferocious, man-eating Lava Lizards. Help them out by torching all the Lizards before they can eat the villagers. (Difficulty: ★★★☆☆)
Lava lizards II: It's not over yet! Pterodactyls will swoop in and drop even MORE Lizard eggs. It's the same as before except there are more lizards, the Lizards are farther apart, and are faster. Save all the cavemen and the elder will give you an Orb. (Difficulty: ★★★★★)
Another caveman named Ooga will ask you to retrieve all of his skeleton friend's bones, which have been stolen by Lava Toads. The Lava Toads are scattered throughout the Level and you will need an Invincibility Power-Up to find them all. Once you find one simply attack it and walk up to the bone it drops. After you've retrieved all the bones the cavemen will give you an Orb and his friend will get down with his funky self. (Difficulty: ★★★★☆)
A caveman is seen hammering a bone structure it is working on, as a Catbat watches him from above. He then takes a short break as he hammers the bone on the side of his head. A Fire Wizard appears behind, and lights his butt on fire. The cavemen is shocked and runs away, as the Wizard laughs. The caveman continues running, with the Catbat behind him. He continues running, until he realizes he's not going anywhere. The camera moves outward, and shows the Catbat hanging on to a piece of the caveman's hair as he is shown off the land. The caveman looks down, and the Catbat drops him, as the caveman screams. A close-up of the Catbat is shown, who laughs at the caveman's misfortune.
Two cavemen are seen together, with one of them holding a video camera. He puts the camera to his eye, showing that he is filming. The other camera then walks back a little and it shows him and a Lava Lizard, looking at the caveman. The caveman then throws a bone somewhere and the Lava Lizard runs to retrieve it like a dog. Unfortunately, the Lava Lizard accidentally hits the filming caveman, which knocks him out and breaks the camera. The 2nd caveman checks to see if he is alive, picks up the camera and then runs off screen.
Intro and Closing Video
Spyro: Shadow Legacy
In Spyro: Shadow Legacy the world of Skelos Badlands reappeared, however it has a different level design with a lower and upper area connected by bone-elevator. The Lower Badlands has several platforms, connected by enormous skeleton-parts, one of them having their huts standing on it, another one with a big altar and one with a prison-area. A larger platform has the elevator leading up to the Upper Badlands which has an area in the middle housing the Fortress of the Fire Minion, with a ring-shaped platform housing The Professor's observatory and a bridge leading to his airship.
Cliff of Danger
The Cliff of Danger, also Zoo of Death, is a cliff in the Lower Badlands that contains no walls or safety, leading straight down to the lava. It is used as a prison-area for traitors and criminal cavemen who has disgraced their tribe. At some point, the caveman Ooga stole their treasured Booga-booga Mask, hid it and framed Lumpy of taking it, making the tribe send him to the cliff as punishment. Spyro found the Mask and Ooga became uneasy, alerting them that he stole it and framed Lumpy because he didn't like him, making the others tell Ooga to go to the ciff instead as punishment.
Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage!
Spyro: Shadow Legacy
- Bonebuilder Elders
- Skelos Badlands was originally meant to be paired with Crystal Glacier, then called Skelos Glaciers early in development. Other such stages built this way include, Colossus with Idol Springs, Sunny Beach with Aquaria Towers, Breeze Harbor with Zephyr, Fracture Hills with Magma Cone, Scorch with Shady Oasis, Mystic Marsh with Cloud Temples, and Robotica Farms with Metropolis.
- Ooga would later take a vacation in Enchanted Towers in Spyro: Year of the Dragon, where the bones of his friend will be, once again, stolen by the Lava Toads.
- The fodder in this level, would later be re-colored and used in the third game in the levels Midnight Mountain and Desert Ruins and again in the fourth game in Jurassic Jungle.
- The music in the cutscenes is just the background the level's actual music.
- The background in this level is based off Idol Springs, with a dark purple colour below the horizon. Cliff Town was the first level to use the background.
- Moneybags mentions planning to open a Lizard Burger stand in this world after being paid to activate the portal to Zephyr.
- This could possibly be what leads to the event shown in the epilogue where the Bonebuilders sic their pet Lava Lizard on him.