Skill Points are hidden bonus objectives Spyro can complete in Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! and Spyro: Year of the Dragon. There are 16 Skill Points in Ripto's Rage!/Gateway to Glimmer, and 20 in Year of the Dragon.
The Spyro Reignited Trilogy marks the return of Skill Points after 18 years of absence, Ripto's Rage! and Year of the Dragon retain the same skill points in Spyro Reignited, but as Spyro the Dragon did not originally have Skill Points, it was given 14.
Skill Points usually consist of obscure and often seemingly pointless things like breaking a record, destroying all of a certain creature or item, or jumping/gliding to a specific, hard-to-reach area. Spyro is awarded an extra life for every Skill Point. Once all Skill Points have been completed, an extra page in the Guidebook/Atlas is added, called 'Epilogue', which shows what happens after the events of the game. In the Spyro Reignited Trilogy, the Epilogues were replaced with art galleries for the game.
Prior to Spyro Reignited, Skill Points did not continue on in the series after Year of the Dragon, but they are featured in the Ratchet & Clank and Resistance series, that were also developed by Insomniac Games.
List of Skill Points
In Spyro the Dragon
Note: These skill points are only in the Spyro Reignited Trilogy version of the game.
14 Skill Points:
- Artisans: Reach tricky platform. (1)
- Stone Hill: Burn the secret pink tulip. (2)
- Town Square: All Bulls stuck. (3)
- Peacekeepers: Scare 6 Gnorcs into tents. (4)
- Doctor Shemp: Perfect. (5)
- High Caves: Burn hidden painting. (6)
- Blowhard: Ride a Druid platform for 10 seconds. (7)
- Terrace Village: No electric floor damage (8)
- Metalhead: Perfect. (9)
- Dream Weavers: Secret Room. (10)
- Haunted Towers: Burn blue wizard hat. (11)
- Lofty Castle: Destroy hidden stump. (12)
- Jacques: Perfect. (13)
- Gnasty Gnorc: Perfect. (14)
In Ripto's Rage!/Gateway to Glimmer
16 Skill Points:
- Aquaria Towers: Destroy all the seaweed. (Much easier after finishing the game and gaining the permanent superflame.) (1)
- Colossus: Perfect score in hockey. (2)
- Fracture Hills: Run three laps of the supercharge course. (3)
- Hurricos: Destroy all the small windmills. (4)
- Idol Springs: Land on top of the small idol near the hula girls. (5)
- Scorch: Knock the coconuts out of all the trees. (6)
- Skelos Badlands: Destroy the quartet of catbats and all the cacti. (7, 8)
- Three skill points for defeating each world "boss" without getting hit. There's a fourth one if you hit Ripto before fighting Gulp (he's on the throne behind Gulp and this is a lot easier once you have the super fireball power permanently or using the double-jump glitch to reach his small throne). (9, 10, 11, 12)
- Four Speedway skill points. (13, 14, 15, 16)
- Finish Ocean Speedway and Canyon Speedway in under 1:10.
- Icy Speedway and Metro Speedway in under 1:15.
In Year of the Dragon
20 Skill Points:
- Sunny Villa: Flame all trees (1)
- Skateboard courses: Beat the course records at Sunny Villa, Enchanted Towers and Lost Fleet (2, 3, 4)
- Molten Crater: Put the heads together and Supercharge the wall in the thief area (5, 6)
- Seashell Shore: Catch the funky chicken (7)
- Icy Peak: Glide to pedestal (thief area) (8)
- Spooky Swamp: Destroy all piranha signs (9)
- Sgt. Byrd's Base: Destroy the gophers (10)
- Frozen Altars: Beat yeti in two boxing rounds (11)
- Fireworks Factory: Agent 9's power up (look up) (12)
- Charmed Ridge: Land on Impossible Tower and Shoot out all the cat witch windows (13, 14)
- Bentley's Outpost: Push the crate off the cliff (15)
- Desert Ruins: Destroy all seaweed (16)
- Haunted Tomb: Swim into the dark hole (17)
- Dino Mines: Hit all the sea horses and Hit the secret dino (18, 19)
- Agent 9's Lab: Blow up all palm trees (20)
- In the original Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage!, a skill point for running 3 laps in the supercharge course in Robotica Farms is coded in the game. While it's doable, the skill point is unobtainable.