|This article is also viewed at the Skylanders Wiki.|
The Skylanders are legendary heroes and champions in the world of Skylands, as well as the only playable characters in the Skylanders series. Their ancient mission is to protect Skylands, and its magical Core of Light, a great machine that repelled The Darkness, the ultimate force behind all evil. Using their magical powers and machinery, the Skylanders defended their world for generations, keeping peace and balance.
At one point, Kaos banished many of the Skylanders to Earth, while others arrived by different means. Far away from the magic of Skylands, they shrunk and turned into immobile figures, requiring a Portal of Power in order to return to Skylands and come back to life.
Each Skylander has their own unique personality. They are freedom fighters in spirit, living for action and their love for battle. United by their unique abilties and loyalty to their leader, Master Eon, as well to each other, family, and friends, the Skylanders all share the purpose and destiny to protecting Skylands from all things evil.
Each Skylander wields a single element: Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Life, Undead, Magic, and Tech. In addition, each Skylander is weak against one certain element in the Battle Arena: Earth is weak against Air, which is weak against Fire, which is weak against Water, which is weak against Life, which is weak against Undead, which is weak against Magic, which is weak against Tech, which is weak against Earth.
It was said that the Giants were the original Skylanders, and the first to exist. The Giants battled against the tyrannical Arkeyans for the freedom of Skylands. In a final battle against the Arkeyans, the Giants were shot to Earth as a form of sacrifice, where they’ve been buried underground ever since. As the years passed, the enormous Skylanders were soon considered as a myth.
Time went on, and many brave Skylanders helped protect Skylands from all things evil, and protecting the Core of Light from the forces of darkness. Despite the fact that the Skylanders come from different realms and worlds, each know that it is their destiny to use their abilities to protect Skylands.
The Skylanders have an unbreakable bond with their Portal Masters. Though they are not servants, the Skylanders chose to serve their Portal Master and do so eagerly.
For generations, the Skylanders worked with the Portal Masters in keeping peace and balance in their world, battling the forces of darkness, and protecting the Core of Light. The Skylanders were previously led by the veteran Portal Master, Master Eon, who was their leader, until The Darkness returned one day. Seeing the incoming threat, Eon called upon six of the Skylanders to prepare for battle as the evil Portal Master, Kaos, returned from his exile to once again attempt to destroy the Core of Light and rule Skylands as its emperor. By Eon's command, the Skylanders fought valiantly against Kaos's dark forces, but as they were winning the struggle, Kaos released his Hydra, who successfully destoyed the Core of Light in a devastating blast.
Shortly after the Core's destruction, all of the Skylanders were banished from Skylands to Earth, where they were turned into toys as a result of Earth bearing no magic, and waited for a new Portal Master to find them. Although Master Eon survived the destruction of the Core of Light, he became a spirit and was unable to fight Kaos and The Darkness, leaving the duty of leading the Skylanders to the new, young Portal Master. After Master Eon recruited the new Portal Master, the Skylanders made their suprising return to Skylands, arriving on the Shattered Island to save its Mabu inhabitants from a freak tornado that was ravaging their village. The heroes then began their quest to save Skylands from Kaos' tyranny with the new Portal Master guiding them.
After Kaos's defeat in his lair, three of the Skylanders (Spyro, Gill Grunt, and Trigger Happy) returned to the Ruins with the captive Kaos, and Hugo later banished the evil Portal Master to Earth where he was shrunk and turned into a toy. However, Master Eon hinted to the new Portal Master that the journey with their Skylanders was only the beginning.
In Skylanders Academy's canon, the Skylanders were founded entirely by Master Eon, who opened the Skylanders Academy after the terrible events of the Great War and the growing threats of powerful villains. In this continuity, the first few Skylanders are characters from several different groups of the game's story, including Ka-Boom, Snap Shot, Jet-Vac and Pop Fizz; even after decades they continue to protect the realm through heroic deeds and important jobs as professors or prison wardens. Over the years, many cadets have taken their courses, and those who are prepared enough to suceed in the Skylander Games are honored with their position on the Skylanders team, bound forever to The Book of Skylanders.
The current core team of the Skylanders is known as Team Spyro, being the primary group to answer to missions in nearby regions, both to defend others from evil acts, or offer a variety of services. The group is formed by newly graduated Skylanders, Spyro, Stealth Elf and Eruptor, and by veterans Jet-Vac and Pop Fizz.
As of Season 2, age has started catching up to many of the veteran Skylanders, many who have already retired or do so during the show's events.
List of Skylanders
There are many Skylanders who have caught Master Eon's attention and joined the cause to battle the dark forces who threaten the world of Skylands. The famous purple dragon himself even joined the ranks, becoming leader of the modern-day Skylanders.
- This list shows only the Skylanders from Spyro's Adventure and the Skylanders who have interacted with Spyro. To see the updated list of Skylanders, please go to the Skylanders page over at the Skylanders Wikia.
The Main Skylanders
- Dark Spyro
- Legendary Spyro
- Legendary Chop Chop
- Legendary Bash
- Legendary Trigger Happy
- Legendary Slam Bam
- Legendary Ignitor
- Legendary Jet-Vac
- Legendary Stealth Elf
- Royal Double Trouble
- Polar Whirlwind
- Volcanic Eruptor
- In the series' marketing, Skylanders that do not belong to any specific team are called Core Skylanders.
- Possibly as a pun, Team Spyro in Skylanders Academy is known as the core Skylander team, both for being the first to be called to missions and for being composed entirely of Core Skylanders.
- There is at least one dragon Skylander in every element, four of which are hybrids between dragons and another species (Whirlwind, Sunburn, Camo, and High Five).
- The Light and Dark dragons (Spotlight and Blackout) are the only Core Skylanders of their respective elements.
- All of the Skylanders originally spoke their own gibberish languages in Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure, but as the project went on, Toys for Bob decided to give fourteen of them actual English lines.
- As of Skylanders: Giants, every Skylander can speak full English lines, though some kept lines in gibberish in their attacks.
- All Spyro's Adventure Skylanders have at least one (and some as many as four) unique animations that only run when they're getting upgraded. They are some of the most complex and creative animations in the game. However, in recent games, no Skylander has animations when being upgraded.
- When a Skylander travels through a portal, it is usual for them to yell out a fierce battle cry when they appear. In fact, every year, there is a contest to see whose battle cry is the loudest; the most frightening, and the best for making milk shoot out from people's noses.
- When Skylanders are defeated in battle, they do not die but are instantly teleported back home where they can heal and rest.
- In Skylanders: Swap Force and onward, Toys for Bob and Vicarious Visions used generic names for all the new Skylanders before the final names were decided upon. In newer games, some Skylanders keep these placeholder names in the in-game files even after their debut, though most are eventually updated.
- With the exception of Spyro's Adventure, each main Skylanders game introduces a new group of Skylanders that are the title characters.
- Most Skylanders have no known family or are not mentioned to be in frequent contact with them, possibly for their protection. The only ones known to stay in touch with them are Sonic Boom and her children, Eye-Brawl and the eyeball's brothers including Dive-Clops, Ignitor and his mother , and Bad Juju and her son Juju Junior.
- Though Skylanders are not mentioned to retire in the main series, in Skylanders Academy, many have retired and left their weapons at the Relics Room to make way for a younger generation.  Specifically, Ninjini and Snap Shot are known retirees that still live near the Academy.
- Also in Skylanders Academy, the Skylanders have a holiday named after them.