- “In fact, I think you've never seen a real dragon. <keff> You know, a dragon in his prime? A dragon with the strength of a mountain. A dragon with wings larger than a house. A dragon wielding magic powerful enough to bend reality itself to his will. <keff!> No, you've not seen such a dragon.”
- —The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer, also known as Stranger, is the main antagonist of Spyro: Shadow Legacy. He is the one responsible for the Calamity that drained most of the magic from the world as well as manipulating Red, one of the Dragon Elders, into becoming his pawn. He is not related to the Sorceress in any way.
The Sorcerer appears to be an anthropomorphic purple dragon. He is always seen wearing a black robe and a hood shaped like a knight's helmet that conceals most of his appearance. While transformed into a large dragon, he has four wings, red spikes and horns, and a design on his tail-spike resembling his scepter.
The Sorcerer frequently says <keff> whenever he talks. He claims that Spyro and the other dragons of the Dragon Realms are not true dragons, and that only he is a real dragon. He is self-confident in his powers and abilities, believing himself to be superior.
Most of the Sorcerer's backstory is unknown, but what is known was that he built three Shadow Amplifier machines. These machines pulled both magic and people into the Shadow Realm, imprisoning them. While Spyro freed the inhabitants from the Shadow Realm, the Sorcerer randomly appeared during Spyro's travels and teleported away whenever he drew near. After Spyro saved everyone in the Realms (including Red) from the Sorcerer's poisonous influence, he confronted the Sorcerer, who offered Spyro to join him. Spyro refused, and the Sorcerer retreated into his castle to engage him in battle. At the start of the battle, the Sorcerer transformed into an enormous dragon but was ultimately defeated despite his claims of superiority. The Sorcerer escaped and was said to be building up power for his next attack.
- The Sorcerer and the Sorceress both hold a magical weapon.
- His dragon form in the game gave inspiration to the character design of Malefor, the main antagonist in The Legend of Spyro series.
- The Sorcerer is believed to be the classic Spyro version of Malefor, due to the fact that the Shadow Legacy was created by the same story team as The Legend of Spyro series, and his resemblance to him in Dragon form.
- If the player has Spyro agree to join the Sorcerer as his apprentice, the Sorcerer sneers at the thought of seeing the look on Tomas' face at Spyro's betrayal, but he rejects Spyro by deeming him too small and weak to be his apprentice.