- “Woooohoo!! Time to kick some Sorceress butt!”
- —Agent 9
The Sorceress' Lair is the hidden arena within the Sorceress' Castle at Midnight Mountain in Spyro: Year of the Dragon and Spyro Reignited Trilogy remaster of the third game. In arena where you battle the Sorceress herself. You fight her at the end of the game, after collecting at least 100 eggs. It is a ring shape surrounded with red-hot lava, with balloons in the air that contain stationary cannons, trolley cannons (hover boards) and UFO flying saucers. The balloons are shot by Agent 9, causing them to pop, allowing the weapon to fall to the ground. You can then hop on it and use it to damage her. He will also occasionally shoot down sheep to heal you.
During the first round, the Sorceress will occasionally shoot three light-blue balls of shock waves towards Spyro. These are easy to dodge - just walking around will do the trick (avoid their shadows falling from above). She will also try to hit you with a fireball attack which seems to follow Spyro, and charging is to only sure way of avoiding one of these. Once Agent 9 finally shoots down a cannon, hop on it and the Sorceress will begin running around the arena. Hit her before she stops and launches a fireball towards you. If she does, quickly jump off the cannon to prevent getting hit.
After successfully hitting her with the cannon for 2 times, the stationary cannons will disappear to make way for a new machine, the Hover tanks. This machine is very similar to the ones you used at Haunted Tomb in the hover board challenge, and the only difference is that it doesn't have the lob shot option (by pressing the square button. At this stage, the villain will generate more of those shock waves and pour them down at you. Again, these are easy to dodge. Just avoid their shadows falling from above, and you'll be fine. Keep on making damaging impacts on the Sorceress until she loses less than half of her life in the health bar show below the screen.
The devices to use next in line will be the UFO Flying saucers. These have unlimited firepower and flying time, and Spyro can only fall off if you press the X button to jump off the saucer or if the Sorceress manages to hit you with her redundant fireball attacks. At this stage, the Sorceress will be in a 'frenzy' and use up all her wand's power trying to dispatch you with swarms of those aforementioned shock waves. Once more, the shock waves can be avoided with great ease. Walking or charging around will do the trick. Keep on pipping the Sorceress until she gets pushed towards the lava, subsequently drowning. Afterwards, Spyro will be awarded with an egg, in this case, baby George.
If you can't beat the Sorceress during the first try, don't lose hope. Once you get used to this arena you will find it very easy to dispatch the evil villain. As they say, practice makes things perfect.
When Sparx is already in the color green (very low health level indication - green), Agent 9 will begin to shoot down sheep you can flame or charge) to regain valuable health. He will shoot down 1-2 sheep.
- Defeat the Sorceress? (George): When the Sorceress is defeated, this egg will pop out of her wand.
- The skybox in this realm is based off the one used in Doctor Shemp in Spyro the Dragon, with added towers.
- The upper tip of the Sorceress's sceptre contains a purple egg which changes colors when she attacks. This egg reverts to the normal egg color after she is defeated.
- In the original NTSC release version and the PAL version, the realm shares its theme with Sunrise Spring and Spike's Arena respectively. All versions of the game contain the theme that would end up being used in the Greatest Hits version, though in all versions except from the Greatest Hits version the theme goes unused.
- Similar to her arena in Super Bonus Round, there is a tower containing "portal" outside the arena. This is only visual however, as it's actually just a solid wall.
- The Sorceress' attacks are similar to that of Spyro's superflame breath and Gulp's cannon attack.
- In the PAL version of the game, the Sorceress' shrieks are omitted when you hit her.
- Sometimes during the cutscene of the Sorceress' arm coming out of the lava, Agent 9 can still be seen hanging around the arena, due to a developer oversight.
- The Sorceress is the only boss in Year of The Dragon to not have an intro cutscene.
- The laser shots fired by Agent 9 in this level are green instead of the usual red.
- In the Spyro Reignited Trilogy the weapons you use during this suspiciously resemble things that wouldn't look out of place in the Ratchet & Clank series.