The Spyro Reignited Trilogy is a collection of remasters of the Spyro the Dragon original trilogy. In celebration of Spyro's 20th anniversary, the first three Spyro games are remade from the ground-up by Toys For Bob, who are known for creating and developing the toys-to-life franchise Skylanders, and a large slew of other game developers.
Copies of the Spyro Reignited Trilogy will need to be updated in order to play the second and third games. On August 16, 2018, Toys For Bob announced that the Spyro Reignited Trilogy, originally scheduled for release on September 21st, was delayed to November 13th to add more love and care.
The original roast master is back! Same sick burns, same smoldering attitude, now all scaled up in stunning HD. Spyro is bringing the heat like never before in the Spyro™ Reignited Trilogy game collection. Rekindle the fire with the original three games, Spyro the Dragon, Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! and Spyro: Year of the Dragon. Explore the expansive realms, re-encounter the fiery personalities and relive the adventure in fully remastered glory. Because when there’s a realm that needs saving, there’s only one dragon to call.
Key Trilogy Features
- Unleash the Dragon – The purple dragon that stole gamers’ hearts 20 years ago is back and looking more fly than ever in scaled-up HD graphics. Explore the expansive realms, re-encounter the fiery personalities and relive the adventure in fully remastered glory.
- Massive Collection – The Spyro Reignited Trilogy lets players glide to new heights, unleash fire-breathing attacks, and explore lush environments filled with new detail bringing the Dragon and Avalar realms to life in more than 100 levels from the first three games. Each level in Spyro Reignited Trilogy is mapped faithfully from the originals, only now re-imagined with modern mechanics to give fans an excellent gaming experience.
- Gnostalgia n’ More – This is the Spyro with swagger and personality that fans remember from their childhood. Returned and remastered Orb Challenges, mini-games and more make this an epic trilogy for the diehard Spyro-maniacs!
- So Fly – The game collection is stunning, lush, and fiery! The Spyro Reignited Trilogy introduces players to a completely remastered game collection with a re-imagined cast of characters, brand-new lighting, animations, environments, and recreated cinematics—all in stunning HD.
- Fresh Controls, Original Adventure – The trilogy breaks free from the gameplay chains of the ‘90s with updated controls, dramatically silky-smooth game camera handling, and full analog stick support for added flavor in this one-of-a-kind adventure.
- Did You Hear That? – Fans of the Spyro games may recognize some familiar sounds in Spyro Reignited Trilogy. Tom Kenny, the original voice actor in Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage!, and Spyro: Year of the Dragon and fan-favorite reprises his role as the voice of Spyro. The new collection also re-imagines Stewart Copeland’s original soundtrack from the first three games.
- Spyro the Dragon – Gnasty Gnorc has returned from exile and has unleashed evil magic on the Dragon Realms, trapping the dragons in crystal and raising an army of Gnorcs. Spyro, with his friend Sparx the Dragonfly, is the only dragon left who can traverse the six Homeworlds, free the dragons, and save the day. Guide Spyro as he glides through the Dragon Realms, toasting colorful enemies with his fiery breath and encountering countless puzzles and adventures along the way.
- Spyro 2: Ripto’s Rage! – Spyro has been brought to the land of Avalar to defeat the evil sorcerer Ripto who has brought war to Avalar’s Homeworlds. Each Homeworld is being held captive by Ripto and his minions and it's up to Spyro to defeat them and bring peace to Avalar’s realms. In this adventure, Spyro powerflames, supershots, and headbashes his way through enemies while completing unique challenges such as herding strange beasts, target shooting, and defeating ravenous dinosaurs.
- Spyro: Year of the Dragon – The Dragon Realms are celebrating the ‘Year of the Dragon’ when a mysterious cloaked figure emerges to steal all the Dragon Eggs. Under the spell of the evil Sorceress, an army of Rhynocs is now guarding the helpless eggs in the Forgotten Realms. With new and old friends, Spyro is on a quest to recover the lost eggs, defeat the Rhynoc army, and stop the evil Sorceress. Turn up the heat in this adventure by exploring the mysterious realms and completing outrageous challenges, such as pulling off sick tricks on a skateboard and stepping into a boxing ring.
On July 19th, at the San Diego Comic Con, Toys For Bob announced today the return of Stewart Copeland (The Police) to the Spyro franchise. Copeland, the series' original composer, revealed a clip of the new soundtrack main theme featured in Spyro™ Reignited Trilogy to fans during the Spyro: Reigniting a Legend panel. Known as “Tiger Train,” Copeland’s new intro reprises recognizable music motifs from the first three Spyro games into a memorable, orchestral-rock journey.
And the Spyro nostalgia beat doesn’t end there! Franchise fans can go down music memory lane as the Spyro Reignited Trilogy brings a new in-game audio feature that allows players to switch between Copeland’s original and the newly remastered soundtracks. Players can simply fly in to the “options menu” at any time during gameplay, unleash their preferred nostalgic or scaled up groove, and glide right back into the Spyro action without losing saved data.
“Creating new music for the Spyro Reignited Trilogy has been incredibly fun and nostalgic for me,” said Stewart Copeland, acclaimed musician (The Police), film score writer and composer. “Seeing how the fans loved the original series and soundtrack was a very heart-warming experience 20 years ago, and being able to revisit that fun with the new game has brought things full circle. I can’t wait for players to hear the new intro title track and enjoy the option to play the remastered game to my original music when the trilogy arrives this fall. ‘Tiger Train’ includes some of my favorite themes from the original soundtrack, which I’m sure the Spyro faithful will appreciate!”
Original and Reignited
In the Spyro Reignited Trilogy, everything that was present in the original Spyro trilogy has been remade from the ground-up in HD graphics, providing new sound effects, animations, and a new experience for new and longtime fans.
The dragons featured in the first game were color palettes of five different models in each five homeworlds. In the Reignited Trilogy, these dragons have undergone a design overhaul that each give them different character designs and unique characteristics that match the world they reside in.
Additional features have been added in the Reignited Trilogy that wasn't included in the original games, such as the addition of Skill Points that were never included in the first game.
On the 12th of March 2019, following criticism during initial release, the game was given subtitles for each cutscene in the game.
To see differences between the original games and the Reignited Trilogy, click here:
DevelopmentThe team at Toys For Bob didn't have access to the original code, rigging, nor models from the classic Spyro trilogy, so they played through the original games to get the feel of the worlds and its characters and recreate everything from scratch. The team were able to leverage many of the original assets such as level models, level collision, animated objects, character models, music, game text, and game sounds using an in-house software called Spyroscope, whose function is to scan the code and assets of the original game and convert the data into a usable form.
The adult dragons of the first game were initially planned to be designed faithfully to their original models, including those that were color swaps of existing dragons. Toys For Bob decided to give all 74 dragons their own unique design and individuality. Toys For Bob audio designer Stephen Vakov worked with composer Stewart Copeland on the remixed soundtrack at Stewart's studio.
The Reignited Trilogy gained first place on the UK all-formats sales chart in its first week. While it sold less than Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee!, it outsold both its Pikachu and Eevee versions individually. It was also the best-selling PlayStation 4 title in its first week in Australia.
The Spyro Reignited Trilogy won the "Family/Kids Title of the Year" award at the Australian Games Awards, was nominated for the Freedom Tower Award for Best Remake at the New York Game Awards, for "Game, Classic Revival" at the National Academy of Video Game Trade Reviewers Awards, and for "People's Choice" at the Italian Video Game Awards.
- The Reignited Trilogy is currently the only Spyro game to be developed by more than five companies.
- The Reignited Trilogy is the second Spyro game, following The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon, to be dubbed into Danish, and the first time the original Spyro-trilogy can be experienced in Danish, with both dragon voices as well as location names having been changed.
- Some issues in the dubbing, however, have been found such as some voices not matching up to the lips or Spyro sounding more like a young adult, rather than a child.
- Official website: http://spyrothedragon.com/
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 A Message from Toys for Bob
- ↑ Video: Nintendo Switch - E3 2019 Software Lineup; 11.06.2019
- ↑ Nintendo Switch and Steam release announcement Twitter post
- ↑ Spyro Reignited Trilogy Requires An Update For Two Of The Games
- ↑ Spyro Reignited Trilogy Brings the Beat to Fans at San Diego Comic-Con
- ↑ Latest Updates for Spyro Reignited Trilogy
- ↑ Twitch Talk: Animation Exchange 2019
- ↑ Spyro: Reigniting a Legend Panel at San Diego Comic Con 2018 | Spyro Reignited Trilogy
- ↑ 
- ↑ https://www.twitter.com/PlayStationAU/status/1065846654467694593
- ↑ Your 2018 Winners
- ↑ 2018 New York Game Awards Nominees Revealed
- ↑ [http://navgtr.org/archives/3566/ Nominee List for 2018
- ↑ Italian Video Game Awards Nominees and Winners
|Spyro the Dragon - Sparx the Dragonfly|
Fairies - Balloonists
Toasty - Doctor Shemp - Blowhard - Metalhead - Jacques - Egg Thieves
|Artisans - Peace Keepers - Magic Crafters - Beast Makers - Dream Weavers - Gnorc Gnexus|
|Stone Hill - Dark Hollow - Town Square - Dry Canyon - Cliff Town - Ice Cavern - Alpine Ridge|
High Caves - Wizard Peak - Terrace Village - Misty Bog - Tree Tops - Dark Passage - Lofty Castle
- Haunted Towers - Gnorc Cove - Twilight Harbour - Gnasty's Loot
|Sunny Flight - Night Flight - Crystal Flight - Wild Flight - Icy Flight|
|Toasty - Doctor Shemp - Blowhard - Metalhead - Jacques - Gnasty Gnorc|
|Dragons - Treasure - Dragon Eggs|