The Time Crystal had the power to protect Spyro, Cynder, and Sparx from the mountain debris caving in on them. However as a result of Spyro's Time Fury, they became frozen in suspended animation, locked in slumber as long as they were encased in crystal. It appears the crystal would release its occupants if struck by a blunt object, emitting their voices moments before Spyro unleashed his Time Fury.
The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night
When the Well of Souls was collapsing around them, Spyro recalled the words of The Chronicler and used his Dragon Time in a Fury attack to protect him, Cynder and Sparx. The resulting fury encased all three in crystal, which shielded them from harm as the Mountain of Malefor proceeded to cave in on them. After the credits, the crystal that protected Spyro, Cynder and Sparx was discovered by Hunter of Avalar within the mountain ruins.
The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon
Instead of Hunter finding the time crystal in the previous installment, a group of Grublins had discovered it within the Well of Souls ruins and later returned with a Hero Orc and a chest that contained the magical green snakes, unaware of Hunter following them. One of the Grublins struck the time crystal with its club in an attempt to break it, which caused the crystal itself to react by glowing brightly. The crystal emitted the voices of Spyro and Cynder moments before they were trapped in time and it proceeded to shatter into pieces, releasing Spyro, Cynder, and Sparx from their three-year long slumber. This however, allowed the Grublins to shackle Spyro and Cynder together with the snake collars and take them away to the Catacombs, leaving Sparx behind for Hunter of Avalar to discover.
- Even though Spyro and Cynder had seemingly grown inside the time crystal, it was noted that they never actually grew up in size as they were shown to be still at the same height as they were in The Eternal Night. This is because Dawn of the Dragon was made by a different game developer, and that the producers of the Legend of Spyro trilogy wanted Spyro and Cynder to be teenagers so that they can take advantage of the next-generation technology and maintain the free-flight feature.
- Sparx was the only one who had his eyes open when he was frozen in time with Spyro and Cynder.
- It appears the crystal grew weaker with time. This is evident because when Spyro first created it, it protected them from the collapsing mountain, but three years later, it was shattered with a simple hit of a Grublin's club.
- “Regarding your question, when we began working with the new team at EL, we took the opportunity to explore different looks and "ages" for Spyro and Cynder. We also had to make some changes to allow for the new gameplay features, such as needing larger wings to work with the flight feature and to allow the characters to block with their wings. The team came up with a variety of concepts and we settled on what you see in DotD. We didn't want to change it too much, but it was a good opportunity to allow the characters to grow up a bit (just like many of the fans were growing up too). It was also a good time to make this change given that it was the 10 year anniversarry for the Franchise. Had we made the game with Krome, its difficult to say what would have happened, but I'm sure there would have still been some changes. Since this was the first time Spyro was on the next-generation consoles, we had to update the model to take advantage of the new technology on the PS3 and Xbox 360.”
- —Christopher Wilson, closed-down Sierra Entertainment forums
|Spyro - Sparx - Ignitus - Volteer - Terrador - Cyril - Cynder - Gaul - The Chronicler|
|Dragon Temple - Dreamscape - Ancient Grove - Grove Underground|
Fellmuth Arena - Pirate Fleet - White Isle - Celestial Caves - Mountain of Malefor
|Ape Soldiers - Ape Leaders - Ape Commanders - Toad Weeds - Bulb Spiders - Death Hounds - Dreadwings|
Grove Worms - Grove Mites - Grove Beasts - Growths - Skavengers - Skurvywings
Blundertails - Pirate Gunners - Armourdilloes - Stone Trolls - Fire Elementals
Elemental Crystal Brutes - Crystal Ball Spiders
|Fire - Electricity - Ice - Earth - Aether|
|Dragons - Apes - Spirit Gems - Scriber's Quills - Dragon Relics - Dragon Challenges|
|The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night Promotional Movies|
The Dam - The Destroyer - The Burned Lands - Floating Islands - Malefor's Lair
Trolls - Bowman Orcs - Wyverns - Shadow Apes